Saturday 1 March 2014

PLINK...PLINK...FIZZ!!!

Mega BOOM!! this afternoon when I heard the distinctive jingle of calling Bearded Tits from the north end reedbed at Neumann's flash.

I'd just connected with the new in pair of Pintail that were the latest arrivals to the flashes and was taking in the sunshine when I heard them first call. Not believing what I'd heard I listened hard and a minute later they called again. Now in full panic mode the adrenalin was pumping I scanned the nearby reeds for any sign of the Fu Manchus...


What seemed like ages past, probably 4-5 minutes when I got a glimpse of something moving through the reedbed. Boom!!, two Bearded Parrotbills skulking deep among the reeds. Instantly they called a third time then flew...and kept on flying...and gaining height!!! (what was going on)...they flew over the nearby wood and higher and higher!!...till I lost them to view, heading in a Haydn's Pool type direction. Their wings buzzing almost like Bees. Surely they were migrating northwards, possibly to the Wizzal or maybe Leighton Moss we'll never know...amazing stuff.
A first patch record and our second new patch lifer after the January Green-winged Teal...what a start to the patch birding year. Spring to come...

#PWC  76 species  82 points  (only 2 for the Parrotbills there's no justice)

TTFN