Sunday 27 April 2014

100 CLUB AND COUNTING

Bank Holiday produced a cracker of a find, not by me unfortunately but Groucho Payne who heard then saw a TREE PIPIT fly-in and perch up near the Witton Brook vp. A couple of other patchers were able to get onto it before it flew down towards Witton Brook.
I was just leaving Old Hide so legged it over to be greeted by three smug faces...rats bottom!
Tape in hand I ventured off #PWC patch (what!!) and whapped out the call of Tripit...zap in it flew to a tree by the car park. I legged it a second time back onto #PWC patch and repeated the call...zap in it flew again right above me calling like a goodan. OML what a prize and the first ever I've seen/heard not flying over. A measly one point ( #PWC rules) for such a patch crippler just not fair. Also in a couple of Sedge Warblers on Ashton's flash below the vp.

Mid week and a Common Sandpiper on Neumann's flash was most welcome.

Saturday and its weekend again, patchers out in force and I'm lounging in bed chimping away on my mobile. I get two calls about a Tern sp. on Ashton's, surely it's an Arctic Tern and yes it is with possibly two before they depart rapidly in the improving weather. Just timed it right whap! 100 up for the year and it's not yet May!

More avian delight was to come as I'm chatting to the boss (of Avian Ecology no less) in Bund Hide, Fred locates a flying over Little Egret...get in what a bonus. Two egrets in the same year (Little and Large).

Rain from the east but not much else to show for it with no new passerines in...where's the groppers and whinchats?



no patch gold at the end of this rainbow from Old Hide


#PWC  101 species   115 points (2 each for Arctic Tern and Little Egret)

TTFN