Sunday 26 January 2014

TREECREEPER

A rather poor weekend weather wise but to be expected I suppose at this time of the year. Saturday around the flashes didn't produce anything new for the year list #PatchBirding . I did meet a couple searching for the Green-winged Teal but they hadn't had any luck (long gone me thinks).
Over on Ashton's flash I did have a large flock of Lesser Redpolls (35+) move through, down in the south east corner. Seems to be a favored place as that's where the Mealy was last week. A few alders down in the sheltered corner enticing them in.
A huge flock of Lapwing over 550 were also on Ashton's and were regularly put up by the antics of the local male Peregrine.
Witton Brook was very high due to all the rainfall we've had over the past few days...




Looks good for Torrent Duck.....

44 species for the mornings effort was par for the course.

Sunday and the weather was as grim as a grim day in Grimsby..rain...wind...poor light so a quick circuit of Neumann's was all I did.
Whap! whilst sheltering in Scrapyard Hide I heard the unmistakable tones of a calling Treecreeper and yes there it was rummaging around the base of one of the many planted trees nearby. In with a flock of Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits and Bullfinch. This is only the second Treecreeper I've recorded at the flashes since I moved to Comberbach in 2001. Incredibly on checking my past records the first one I saw was also on the 26th January but way back in 2008. Just shows if you get out and about the birds continue to surprise.

#PWC  67 species   71 points

TTFN